If you’re looking for a multivitamin to take to cover gaps in your diet and boost your overall health, you are going to discover pretty quickly that there are a lot of options out there for men right now.
Especially with the internet, we have access to a huge selection.
So how do you choose the best men’s multivitamin? We are going to go over some tips for identifying high-quality multivitamins for men, and I will offer a few product recommendations so that you can find the ideal solution for your specific dietary needs.
But first, let’s talk about the importance of men’s multivitamins.
Why Do We Need Vitamins in the First Place?
I remember the first time someone told me I should take a multivitamin every day. I was still in college, and I didn’t see why I should tack another expense onto my budget. I felt great, and it seemed like overkill.
Well, ten years down the road, I can’t imagine not taking a daily multivitamin. I’ve learned over the long years that you can’t take your health for granted, and you can’t take nutrition for granted either.
Here are two reasons you need to take a multivitamin:
- Some nutritional deficiencies are surprisingly common, even in first world countries.
- Even if you are meeting the recommended amounts of required vitamins and minerals, you may still not be getting the optimum levels for ideal functioning.
In fact, you can even experience health symptoms relating to sub-optimal nutrient levels without a test showing you are deficient.
Here are some of the most prevalent deficiencies:
- Iodine. This is particularly problematic in countries where iodine-rich foods such as seaweed are not a regular part of diets (in other words, Western countries).
- Vitamin D. Apparently around 75% of the US adult and teenage population is vitamin D deficient. Those who live in areas of the country with low sunlight (i.e. the Pacific Northwest) are most likely to suffer from deficiency.
- Vitamin B12. This deficiency is common in the overall population, but is particularly pervasive among vegetarians.
- Magnesium. This mineral is another of the most widespread deficiencies. The linked study says, “Almost half (48%) of the US population consumed less than the required amount of magnesium from food in 2005-2006.”
While these are some of deficiencies you should be particularly alert for, men can also fail to get enough vitamin A, vitamin C, other B vitamins, iron, calcium, zinc, vitamin K, vitamin E, selenium, and so on.
Your diet of course plays a huge role in deficiencies that may develop (again, vegans and vegetarians are often at high risk), but it is not the only factor. Some men suffer from absorption issues as well.
Various health conditions and medications can also influence your nutritional profile.
This may require you to supplement your intake even if your diet is rich in vitamins and minerals. Some people need high therapeutic doses of certain nutrients to treat their conditions as well.
Combined, all of these factors can make it difficult (and in some cases, impossible) to meet your nutritional needs solely from the foods you eat.
What Should You Look for in a High-Quality Multivitamin for Men?
All multivitamins for men are not made equal. While you are shopping, here are some characteristics to look for in a high-quality multivitamin product:
- Nutrients from whole foods. It is true that it is possible to synthesize vitamins, but it is easier for your body to absorb those which come from real foods and include enzyme and mineral co-factors.
- Purity. Shop for a multivitamin which is free of unnecessary additives, binders, artificial colors and flavors, and so forth.
- Organic and non-GMO. This is healthier for your body and also for the planet.
- Easy to swallow. If swallowing supplements is not easy for you, be sure to check the size of the capsules and take a look at customer reviews to see if they will be easy to swallow.
- Easy to digest. While some people have a difficult time swallowing capsules, others have a hard time digesting certain multivitamins. If you tend to get an upset stomach when you take vitamins, you should again check the reviews to get some feedback on whether a particular product tends to cause digestive upset or not.
- No allergens. If you have any allergies, be sure to get a product which does not contain any allergens and which has not been manufactured in a facility where those allergens may be present.
- Well-manufactured. Speaking of manufacturing, the best multivitamins for men are made in facilities which are GMP- and FDA- compliant.
- Testing. Multivitamins should be tested before they go to market in order to make sure that they contain the ingredients which they list in the proper quantities with no contaminants. Ideally, tests should be performed by a third-party lab.
- Reputable brand. Purchase your multivitamins from a brand that you can trust.
- Eco-friendly. Some companies go out of their way to protect the environment. Not only do they use non-GMO ingredients, but they may harvest them sustainably and use recyclable materials in their packaging.
- Good reviews. Take a look at the reviews for the product you are thinking about purchasing. Make sure that you read both positive and negative reviews through a critical lens. Try to evaluate both the multivitamin and the integrity of the reviews before you make a judgment. There is not a one size fits all due to the aforementioned individual requirements- so don’t let one bad review put you off. Dig deeper and let the majority verdict influence your buying decision.
- Solid value. Finally, price is always an important consideration when shopping for a supplement which you are going to be taking on a regular basis. This does not mean that you should go with the cheapest multivitamin for men, but you should not necessarily pick the most expensive either. Look for one that delivers the highest value for the most affordable price.
Top 3 Multivitamins for Men for 2019
Now that you know what to look for when shopping for the best men’s multivitamins, let’s take a look at some of the top recommendations for this year in several categories.
Best Overall Multi-Vitamin: Naturelo Whole Food Multivitamin for Men
This is my top overall choice for the best multivitamin for men. This vitamin has a number of standout features. For starters, it is a whole food multivitamin made with non-GMO, organic fruits and vegetables. It is vegan-friendly, and contains no soy gluten, preservatives, or flavors or colors.
Naturelo Whole Food Multivitamins are manufactured in FDA-audited labs in the United States according to GMP practices. They are subject to testing to ensure their quality before they reach you.
In terms of cost, you will pay more for Naturelo Whole Food Multivitamins than some competing products, but the ingredients which are used to derive the nutrients contained in these capsules more than justifies the cost.
For example, take the vitamin C in Naturelo Whole Food Multivitamins. While the cost of the organic acerola cherry used for the vitamin C in this product is 5x higher than the cost of the synthesized form of vitamin C, the overall price for the multivitamin is only 3x higher than most competing products.
What is also awesome about this product is that Naturelo offers a 100% Money Back Guarantee on it. So you can try it without any risk and discover for yourself the benefits of whole food nutrition.
Rating: 4.5 stars
Best Value Multi-Vitamin: Opti-Men
Can’t afford to spend a lot of money on a multivitamin which is high in quality? In the budget category, my top recommendation is Opti-Men. In each bottle, you get 25 essential vitamins and minerals formulated from over 75 healthy ingredients. The supplement was designed specifically with active men in mind, so this is an excellent choice if you work out.
You can see below that the cost per bottle is lower than it is for some other top multivitamins for men. If you check the price per count, that is lower as well. So this truly is a budget choice which can deliver great support for overall health.
Rating: 4.5 stars
Best Multivitamin for Men Over 40: Rainbow Light Vibrance Men’s Multivitamin Plus Stress Support
Rainbow Light Vibrance makes a range of high-quality vitamin products which are worth considering for different needs. The Stress Support formula is our top recommended multivitamin for men over 40.
The vitamins in this product comes from real, healthy foods like broccoli, blackberries, cranberries, kale, carrots, spirulina and more. With this product does not contain are allergens such as milk, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, soybeans, peanuts, wheat or eggs. There are also no artificial additives.
Rainbow Light Vibrance Men’s Multivitamin Plus Stress Support also is an excellent purchase if you are concerned with the environment. Through the EcoGuard program, all of the company’s supplement bottles are 100% recyclable and are also made out of 100% recycled materials. Even the labels on the bottles are made without cutting down trees (they are manufactured from 80% calcium carbonate TerraSkin®).
Rating: 4.5 stars
The Right Multivitamin for Men Can Improve Your Health Now and in the Future
Whether you are suffering from a nutritional deficiency or simply are looking for a way to optimize and protect your health, taking a daily multivitamin can make a big difference.
You now know some of the highest-quality multivitamins for men which are on the market today. Start the new year on the right foundation nutrionally speaking and enjoy the benefits of whole food nutrition!